Regain Candidacy for Dental Implants with Mini Dental Implants
Tooth loss can impede an individual’s ability to speak clearly or chew with ease. One effective and long-term solution to tooth loss, dental implants, requires that patients have adequate jawbone density to receive the implant posts. If you have been told that you are not a good candidate for dental implants, our Metairie, LA, practice offers a unique solution: mini dental implants. Compared to traditional dental implants, mini dental implants are smaller in diameter. This allows individuals to potentially avoid undergoing sinus lift surgery or a bone graft to gain candidacy for dental implants. After Dr. Gregory Strain, who opened his practice in 1999, has guided you through the dental implant placement procedure, you will be able to enjoy the restorative benefits and superior stability of a dental implant and crown, implant-supported bridge, or implant-retained denture.
If you have been told that you are not a good candidate for dental implants, our practice offers a unique solution: mini dental implants.
Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
The average diameter of a dental implant is 3.5mm to 6mm. Mini dental implants have an average diameter range of 2mm to 3.5mm. The small implant post provides the benefits of a traditional dental implant while allowing certain patients to forgo bone graft or sinus lift surgery. The benefits of mini dental implants include:
- Restored candidacy for dental implants: One common reason patients are told they are not candidates for dental implants is due to inadequate jawbone density. Years of untreated tooth loss can lead to jawbone atrophy. Due to their thinner implant post size, mini dental implants allow individuals who have lower jawbone density to qualify for the restoration.
- Advanced manufacturing technology: By working with our Metairie dental practice, patients can benefit from the use of our advanced E4D CAD/CAM system that allows Dr. Strain to complete every step of planning and manufacturing restorations in our office.
- Fewer procedures: Mini dental implants are a great treatment alternative for patients who have been told they have to undergo a bone graft or sinus lift. Mini dental implants feature a tiny ball attached to one end, meaning there is no need to undergo a follow-up surgery to attach an abutment.
Mini dental implants provide our Metairie patients with the same benefits as traditional dental implants. These include:
- Improved chewing function
- Prevention of teeth shifting and jawbone atrophy
- Improved clarity of speech
- A more attractive smile
Are You a Good Candidate?
Ideal candidates for mini dental implants are non-smokers who are missing one or more teeth. There are still jawbone density requirements with mini dental implants, but a significant portion of patients who are not candidates for traditional dental implants qualify to undergo mini dental implant placement. During your consultation, Dr. Strain will examine your jawbone and possibly take digital images or x-rays to determine if you are a good candidate for mini dental implants.
How Are Mini Dental Implants Placed?
Mini dental implants are placed by your oral surgeon. The procedure begins with the administration of local anesthesia and possibly sedation. Once you are relaxed and comfortable, the oral surgeon will make an incision in the gum line before making a very small hole in your jawbone. The mini dental implant will then be inserted through that hole and incisions will be sutured closed. The entire procedure generally takes 1 to 2 hours. A healing period of four to six months will follow. Once your jawbone has integrated with the implant, your restoration (crown, bridge, or denture) will be attached to the implant at our office.
Visit Gregory S. Strain DDS Family Dentistry Today
Mini dental implants restore natural chewing function while allowing patients to speak and smile with confidence. To schedule your mini dental implant consultation, we welcome you to contact our office online or call (504) 838-8118. To make treatments more affordable, we accept CareCredit® financing.